This week is Back Care week, so here are our 10 Top Tips for a Healthy Back.
1. Exercise your back regularly - Pilates, walking, cycling, swimming, (especially back stoke).
2. Try to maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle and identify any food sensitivities that may be causing inflammation. (learn more at naturalnutrition.co.uk)
3. Learn to lift heavy objects using the correct lifting technique. Always bend your knees and hips, not your back.
4. Carry larger loads in a comfortable rucksack using both shoulder straps, and avoid sling bags.
5. Maintain a good posture – avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk, or walking with your shoulders hunched.
6. Try to take a short break - every 30 minutes - from sitting.
7. Quit smoking. Smoking can reduce the blood supply to discs between the vertebrae, and this could lead to disc-degeneration (learn more at naturalnutrition.co.uk)
8. Endeavour to lose any excess weight.
9. Check that your bed provides the correct support and comfort for your weight and build, not just firmness.
10. Learn relaxation techniques to help manage stress, such as meditation & yoga. Stress is a major cause of back pain.
If you are already suffering from back pain, our team of complementary & alternative therapists are here to help you. Call 01323 732024 and find out how we can help you to get relief from your back pain today.